Saturday, December 1, 2007

Applications of TEAM to my classes

TEAM is a wonderful learning experience for me. I am using many of the things I am learning in TEAM with my classes at Herricks High School. I used Voicethread for the first time with my Marine Biology class. This class is in the alternative school and I find that the students are incessantly talking in class. So to get them talking about our field trip, I sent them all invitations to a Voicethread slideshow of our field trip. I provided 2 weeks for the students to comment at least 10 Marine Biology facts (more for extra credit). I received a lot of silly comments, but the students for the first time were all actively doing their homework each day, and were excited for me to check it! The next assignment that I tried was a presentation in Google documents with my Regents class. I first had each student register a Gmail account. Next, I taught them in class how to edit a presentation in their account. Students received a week to enter the document and then edit one slide. At the end of the week, each student contributed information that resulted in a 24 slide show. I then copied the slides into keynote, added some effects and music, and then presented the show to the students in class. It was cool and the feedback from the students suggests that they would use this application on their own. Mission accomplished. I am going to try and post these two projects in this blog so you can see them. Voicethread

3 comments:

Diana said...

Dana that is so great to hear! I think that the best part about TEAM is being able to learn new things and implement them in the classroom. There is nothing better then when students start to enjoy participating in assignments.

Christine Southard said...

I love the fact that technology is changing the entire dynamic of your classroom. Kudos to you and your class for taking learning to the next level. You are 21st century role models.

Karen Kliegman said...

I am so proud to see what Herricks teachers are starting to do with technologies learned through TEAM. There is a group of you now who are implementing educational technology and I think all of you will be the leaders in this area. I have been doing stuff like this for a few years now and I always wondered what would happen to my students once they left Searingtown. Would it end there? I am so happy that we have a few teachers now in Middle School and High School to continue what some of us have begun with them at the elementary level.